For some, motorcycles are an exciting way to enjoy the wind in your hair on a nice day. For others, they are a primary means of transportation. Whether you ride a motorcycle for practical reasons or for pure enjoyment, you must use your best judgment on the road. Because a motorcycle lacks the protection of a car, motorcycle drivers and passengers are at a greater risk of suffering a serious injury on the road than the average driver. A motorcycle accident can cause physical, emotional, and financial problems for those involved.
That’s why it’s important to have an experienced Jersey City law firm like The Law Offices of Anthony Carbone on your side when you get into an accident. If your motorcycle accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering.
The Dangers of Motorcycles
Even the best driver on the road is at risk for an accident, and if you’re on a motorcycle, you’re especially vulnerable. While you may be alert and attentive on the road, you are at the mercy of other drivers.
According to NJ.gov, motorcycle accidents with other vehicles most often occur at intersections. Two-thirds of the time, they occur when the other vehicle does not see the motorcycle.
Some safety tips for motorcyclists from NJ.gov:
- Drive Defensively – Assume motorists do not see you and plan escape routes.
- Make Yourself Visible – Wear bright colored and reflective clothing. Do not linger in “blind spots”. Adjust your lane position.
- Give Yourself Time and Space to React – Do not tailgate. Use the “Two Second Rule” or the “Four Second Rule” to create space between you and vehicles ahead of you.
- Avoid Sudden Braking or Turning When Driving on Wet Roads or Gravel – With only two tires, motorcycles have less tire traction than other vehicles.
- Enhance Your Skills with Education – New Jersey offers various safety and skill courses, for riders new and old.
- Never drink alcohol or take medications while riding.
- Never ride if you are tired.
Staying safe on the road is the number one priority when driving any vehicle, but, unfortunately, some accidents are unavoidable because of another person’s carelessness. For situations that you can’t avoid, make sure to have a great lawyer on your side who knows how to guide you through the recovery process.
Have you been in a motorcycle accident?
If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident, you need an experienced personal injury lawyer to represent you. Call Jersey City injury law firm The Law Offices of Anthony Carbone to get the compensation you deserve for your pain and suffering. Contact us today!