Trucks. We see trucks every day, from pickup trucks to tow trucks to tractor-trailers. There are different types of trucks that do certain tasks that keep our cities flowing smoothly, including the utility trucks that pick up our garbage and recycling or help with road construction. These trucks can be large and complicated to maneuver, especially if the worker operating them is inexperienced or improperly trained. An accident with one of these vehicles can cause serious injuries.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident with a utility truck, you’ll need an experienced personal injury lawyer. Jersey City attorney Anthony Carbone has been handling cases such as these for more than 26 years and knows how to get the compensation you deserve.
Who is to Blame for Your Utility Truck Accident?
As with all motor vehicle accidents, it is difficult to prove which driver is the cause of the accident. This is handled by looking at which party acted in the negligent manner which caused injury to the other person/people.
For the utility truck to be responsible for the accident, the driver:
- Must have failed to operate the truck properly (i.e. drive safely, maintaining control of the vehicle, etc.)
- Drove in a negligent manner, such as speeding, distracted driving, or driving under the influence of alcohol.
- The negligent driving resulted in harm of another person.
Who do I file the Personal Injury Claim Against?
If you got into an accident with a utility truck, you may be wondering who gets the claim. If the vehicle is a municipal truck, such as a garbage truck, then the claim will go to the city. But there are certain rules you need to follow:
- You must give a formal complaint within 90 days
- You must wait six months before filing a lawsuit
- If you can’t reach a settlement, you must file a formal personal injury claim within two years
However, if the vehicle was a company truck, such as the cable company, then the same rules apply as those to filing a claim against an individual.
Know Your Rights! Contact Us Today
If you were seriously injured after an accident involving a utility vehicle, then you need an experienced lawyer by your side. Don’t wait any longer. Contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone today for a free consultation. Now accepting clients in Jersey City, Newark, Bergen County, and throughout New Jersey.