Slip and Fall Accidents on Government Property

When you have a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, the responsibility is held by the property owner. But, if you slip and fall on government property, who is to blame?jersey-city-lawyer-slip-fall-government-property

When your slip and fall accident occurs on government property, you can file suit against the government entity responsible. It can be difficult to file a personal injury claim against the government, especially on your own. That’s why you should contact the Law Offices of Anthony Carbone immediately. For more than 26 years, our experienced slip and fall attorney has been handling all types of slip and fall accidents and is ready to help you get the compensation that you deserve.

Causes of a Slip and Fall Accident on Government Property

Some of the common causes of a slip and fall accident on government property such as a building or sidewalk can be:

  • Ice or snow
  • Garbage or debris
  • Broken pieces of the sidewalk
  • Slippery mats
  • Floors that had just been mopped

Proving Who is Responsible for Your Slip and Fall

Let’s say you’re walking home from work one winter day. You slip on a patch of ice on your city sidewalk, and break your arm.  Who would be responsible?  Well, it all depends where the accident occurred.  If the sidewalk was in front of a private residence, it was the responsibility of the property owner to make sure their sidewalk was not dangerous.

But if the accident happened in a public area or in front of a government building – for example, on the steps of the courthouse – then you have a case against the municipality.

But be aware — filing a personal injury claim against the government is not much easier than it is when you file a claim against your neighbor. There are strict rules you must follow in order to file a claim successfully. First, you must be aware of deadlines. Unlike a personal injury case against individuals, where you have two years to file a claim, you only have 90 days after the accident to file a claim against a government agency. You also have to be very aware of which agency get the claim; filing a claim against the wrong government entity will have your case dismissed.

Before you can sue, you must file a formal notice of injury with the government entity responsible. The information must have:

  •  your name and address
  • date of injury
  • a summary of what happened
  • a statement claiming the government was negligent
  • a description of your injuries
  • and a description of your medical bills and financial losses

There is a limit on how much you will receive if you win your claim. Plus you need to prove that the government is responsible for your injury. It is imperative you report the incident immediately to the personal in charge of the property. Pictures of your injury and the accident scene is essential.

Did you injure yourself in a slip and fall accident? For the past 26 years, Jersey City slip and fall lawyer Anthony Carbone has a proven track record of successfully getting the compensation you need after such an accident. If you live in Jersey City, Newark, Union City, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact us for a free consultation.